For the version history for DivX 9 and newer please go: Here
DivX Plus Codec Pack 9.0 - Released 2012-11-15
- General stability and performance fixes
- Formerly pro features are now free
DivX Plus Codec Pack 8.0 - Released 2010-3-16
- DivX Plus H.264 decoder 1.2 now supports DXVA hardware acceleration.
- All codec settings are controlled from one location in the new DivX Plus Control Panel
- Official support for Windows 7
- General stability and performance fixes
DivX Codec 6.8.5
- Improved encode performance on multi-core processors
- Improved seek performance on playback
- Improved encoder de-interlacing
- Improved stability with malformed files
- Aspect ratio corrected in Vista
- Forced aspect ration corrected
- Thumbnail generation no longer slows decoder
DivX Codec 6.8.4
- Fixed flickering on some interlaced content under Windows Vista
- Fixed aspect ratio scaling on Windows Vista
DivX Codec 6.8
- Up to 50% faster decoding on multi-core computers for better HD Playback
- New custom matrices that allow for better fine tuning of encoder for specific content types
DivX Codec 6.7
- Official 1080HD profile
- Support for interlaced video and bi-directional coding
- Support for custom aspect ratios
- Easy picture format conversions
DivX Codec 6.6.1 (build 22.214.171.124)
- Up to 50% faster decoding on multi-core computers for better HD playback
- New custom matrices that allow for better fine tuning of the encoder for specific content types
DivX Codec 6.6.1 (build 126.96.36.199)
Note: It is not possible to compare this search method with the normal operation of DivX Codec 6.6 or prior. The experimental search does additional work and therefore is naturally slower. We're enabling it so that comparisons between the Penryn using SSE4 and older processors using the equivalent SSE2 routine are possible.
- Experimental search dropdown box is now enabled for CPUs with SSE2
- The VFW decoder did not render frames for certain bitstreams when post-processing was disabled
- Fixed decoding b-frames for clips with data partitioning
- Fixed a small motion compensation error in b-frames when using quarter pixel estimation
- Fixed a VLD issue that could cause blocks to appear in the decoded picture
- Fixed bitrate resetting to default when changing from Fast 1st pass to Nth pass rate-control mode
- Changed default VBV initial occupancy to 100%
- Workaround for later versions of VirtualDub and derivatives where additional frames were being written to the multipass log file in Fast 1st pass mode
- Fixed handling of forced aspect ratio in DirectShow decoder
DivX 6.6.0 -- Released
- Compression has been generally improved, and the "Fastest" encoding mode is up to 7% more efficient
- HD encoding is slightly faster in all modes, and the "Insane" quality mode is over 10% faster
- The DivX video decoder is up to 12% faster
- Includes experimental motion search for benchmarking new SSE4 instruction on Intel Penryn/Hi-K CPUs
- Fixed a bug in the encoder where 'Fastest' mode was being used when 'High Performance' mode was selected
- Fixed support for setting the display aspect ratio when real time de-interlacing is enabled
- Fixed an issue with decoding videos encoded using the data partitioning feature from the DivX 5.0.2 encoder
- Fixed subtle artifacts when decoding videos that use adaptive quantization
- Fixed blurred motion when decoding interlaced clips
- Fixed a bug where the VFW codec would in some circumstances fail to decode Xvid video
DivX Codec 6.5 -- Released
- Support for non-square pixel aspect ratios
- Support for de-interlacing during playback
Two de-interlacing methods are available:
- When de-interlacing is enabled but the advanced hardware overlay is disabled, de-interlacing will be performed in software and the frame rate will remain unchanged. For example, if the DivX video is 30 frames/60 fields per second, then you will see 30 de-interlaced frames per second.
- When de-interlacing and the advanced hardware overlay are both enabled, de-interlacing will be performed by your video hardware and the frame rate will be doubled. For example, if the DivX video is 30 frames/60 fields per second, then you will see 60 de-interlaced frames per second.
De-interlaceing is enabled by default after installation.
- Improved decoder performance
- Support for qMobile profile
- Support for Mobile profile
DivX Codec 6.4 -- Released
- 1080HD encoding mode
- DivX Codec now includes a 1080HD encoding mode allowing
- Fast 1st pass rate control mode
- High efficiency resize filters
- Improved support for interlaced video
- Adaptive noise reduction
DivX Codec 6.2 -- Released
- A new encoder preset option allows you to quickly configure the encoder based upon your preference for encoding speed and video quality
- The DivX community codec replaces the current free version of DivX, offering a wider range of performance and quality options for free through encoder presets
- Multithreaded resize filters have been added for improved performance on all HyperThreaded (HT), dual CPU (SMP) and dual core processors
- A new "Enhanced multithreading" option capable of increasing encoding rate depending on system configuration and encoding environment
- A new "Enhance texture" psychovisual enhancement method that improves picture details around keyframes and reduces the appearance of stray blocks under fast motion when encoding at lower bitrates
- MMX optimizations for the MPEG quantization method
- The DivX decoder can anonymously check for updates to the DivX codec, ensuring you are always notified of newer versions
- Fixed a problem where multiple instances of the feedback window would cause the encoder to fail
- Fixed a problem where very old DivX 5.0 content might not be decoded correctly
- The encoder GUI now adapts to screen resolutions of 800x600 or lower
- Bitrate modulation for multipass nth pass encoding is now preset at an optimal value for quality. As a result, this option has been removed from the user interface
- The DivX Pro 6 month trial has been replaced by a 15 day trial, which can be started from the DivX encoder GUI, rather than during installation. This is because a much wider range of features are now available for free in the community codec. Previously installed 6 month trials will be honored.
DivX Codec 6.1 - Released 2005-12-13
- Full support for single CPU, HyperThreaded (HT), dual CPU (SMP) and dual core processors. Encoding performance is improved up to 180% for HT CPUs and up to 250% for Dual Core + HT.
- Mutlithreading is enabled in the DivX decoder for DirectShow when the option to 'Reduce CPU spikes using one frame delay' is enabled and post-processing is applied.
- Optimizations have been added for processors supporting SSE2 extensions.
- A new "High Performance" encoding mode has been added.
- A new "1-Pass Target Quantizer" mode has been added.
- The codec now includes a Lanczos resize filter for very sharp resizing.
- The Feedback Window now displays VBV level and has variable axis for PSNR plots.
- The Feedback Window now contains controls for changing VBV bitrate, performance mode and psychovisual enhancement in real time during encoding.
- DivX High Definition profile now permits average bitrates of up to 6 Mbps.
- MPEG quantization has been improved.
- Brightness, contrast, and saturation controls are now respected by the DivX decoder for DirectShow.
- The DivX decoder for DirectShow now respects the option to "Output YUV 4:2:0 when supported."
- It is now possible to exclude the Settings Manager by using RegEdit to add the process name to the list under: HKLM\\Software\\DivXNetworks\\DivX\\SMExclusions.
- The performance of "Extreme Quality" and "Insane Quality" modes has been improved.
- "Fastest" mode now achieves better compression and produces video compliant with certified encoding profiles.
- Quarter-pixel motion estimation has been enhanced for performance and is now available in all modes from "Balanced" through "Insane quality" when "Unconstrained profile" is selected.
- Item descriptions in the encoder GUI have been improved for all languages.
- Generic MPEG-4 playback support has been improved.
DivX Codec 6.0.3 - Released 2005-10-18
- Windows Explorer should now show thumbnails for DivX AVI files
- The encoder now reports 24-bits per pixel similar to DivX 5 for compatibility with various applications.
- The DivX VFW decoder now has improved post-processing defaults and custom settings. Post-processing for the VFW decoder is disabled when it is set to 'Off' in the decoder configuration utility, set to full deblocking when 'Automatic Deblocking' is enabled, and set to full deblock + full dering when 'Fully Automatic' is enabled. Custom post-processing settings are also respected.
- The DivX DirectShow decoder now respects custom post-processing settings.
- When the DivX Settings Manager (DivXSM.exe) is not registered, the DirectShow decoder now uses full deblocking, no deringing, Generic MPEG-4 support and no logo overlay by default.
- The DivX decoder no longer executes an SSE instruction in an MMX routine that caused undesirable behavior on older processors.
- DivX 3 playback no longer fails when 'Use advanced hardware overlay' is enabled in the Decoder Configuration Utility.
- The DivX Settings Manager is no longer loaded when DirectShow attempts to connect the DivX decoder filter if the connection is ultimately rejected.
- Windows Media Player should no longer search online for codecs when all necessary codecs are already available.
- The DivX Pro trial dialogs will now allow you to activate any DivX product with a valid serial number.
- Serial number dialogs now strip invalid characters.
- Serial number dialogs now accept lower-case characters.
DivX Codec 6.0 - Released 2005-06-15
- Major improvements in quality and compression! DivX 6 codec has equivalent compression to DivX Pro 5.2.1, while DivX Pro 6 codec has 20% better compression than both.
- DivX 6 codec restricts 'Unconstrained' profile. 'Unconstrained' profile is only available in DivX Pro 6.
- New encoding mode breakdown enables a flexible selection of performance vs. quality, including several new quality modes.
- 'Insane Quality' mode for the ultimate in video quality.
- Rate-distortion optimized H.263 quantization for better quality.
- Multiple consecutive bidirectional coding is allowed in High Definition profile enabling better compression.
- VBV change for Portable profile, enabling higher quality Portable video.
- New source aspect-based resize.
- The encoder GUI has been redesigned for ease-of-use and better functional grouping.
- A Feedback Window Lite with real-time encoding information. You can expand the Feedback Window Lite into the full Encoder Feedback Window at the click of a button, and then collapse it again when you want.
- The Encoder Feedback Window now has fixed dimensions and it is possible to scroll the video preview area for large video resolutions.
- Support for 4MV estimation, improving picture sharpness and reducing ringing artifacts.
- DivX 6 codec includes full support for the DivX Media Format and enables access to DivX Media Format features for DivX media (.divx) files in popular media players. Look for the DivX icon near the clock on your taskbar to select special features whenever you play a DivX media file.
- Through the DivX Media Format, you can now experience interactive video menus, chapter points, multiple audio tracks, XSUB? subtitles, XTAG? video information and more.
- Faster, PSNR optimized post-processing for superior playback and recoding quality.
- DivX codec should no longer lose its trial or registered status.
DivX Codec 5.2.1 - Released 2004-09-08
- Installer option to enable generic MPEG-4 playback component
- Support for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Includes DivX Player 2.5.5
- The update application to allow update checks when system locale is not supported
- The registration application to notify the user when they are already registered
- A long pause which occurred after opening the codec configuration dialog
- A 1-pixel vertical wobble when de-interlacing source
- An issue where the codec could forget its 'registered' or '6 month trial' status
- A glitch where Pro features were still selectable, but unusable after trial expired
- The trial expired message to show every time a trials expires
- A rare crash that occurred with some types of content
- Black distortions which appeared during playback
- An issue where blocks were skipped when video contained multiple consecutive B-frames
- A stall that occurred with some media players during DivX playback or on exit
- An issue causing Explorer to run slowly when showing thumbnails of DivX files
- The Japanese Decoder Configuration to no longer show corrupt text
DivX Codec 5.2 - Released 2004-07-15
- Localized versions for French, German and Japanese
- Bi-directional coding using an adaptive method
- Fully adaptive multiple consecutive B-frames
- MPEG-2/H.263 quantization choice
- Built-in bitrate calculator
- Update checking tool
- Automatic update notification for the DivX encoder
- Fast mode, revamped for better performance, compression and quality
- Feedback mode which is now multithreaded, taking advantage of HyperThreaded or dual CPU for better efficiency
- 3 point GMC support in the DivX decoder
- "Slowest" mode removed as the quality differential with "Slow" mode was insignificant, yet the performance differential was massive
- DivX Pro Adware bundle replaced by DivX Pro 6-month free trial
- Smooth playback supporting multiple consecutive B-frames
- Quantizer, now using quant scale in video packets
- A rare issue where rate control sometimes inserted Q=31 frames in video combining low light conditions, high bitrate and specific motion patterns
- Fastest mode to respect the user-specified average bitrate (Old "Fastest" behavior can be obtained by disabling profiles and performing 1-Pass, Quality-based encoding with Q=3)
- A crash occurring in some rare cases with clips that have dimensions divisible only by 2 and use YUY2 color mode
- Black screen when decoding old buggy MPEG-4 clips that lack VOL header
- Internal flush operation with "Smooth playback" feature
- Intra inverse quantization (type 1)
- Support for generic MPEG-4 (XVID and 3ivX)
- Data partitioning clip
- Deblocking to no longer cause solid blocks to appear during playback
- DivX decoder to always play DivX video
DivX Codec 5.1.1 - Released 2003-11-19
- Support for generic MP4 FourCC codes which can be enabled/disabled in the DirectShow configuration dialog box.
- Psychovisual modeling disabled by default.
- Feedback mode disabled by default.
- Feedback mode can now be globally disabled when running.
- All frames are now displayed in feedback windows.
- Cosmetic GUI changes have been made to avoid confusion when using MV reuse and specific performance modes.
- Deinterlacing is back in the Standard codec.
- Added bottom field first encoding.
- Smoother DivX logo fade.